Apply for the 2021 UNUM Fellows cohort.
UNUM Fellows Application
Deadline is September 15, 2021.
The unique, non-partisan fellowship aims to ensure elected leaders in the South can act on the issues of racial and economic equity, driving sustainable change in their communities.
When leaders openly prioritize racial diversity and inclusion, residents are more hopeful and optimistic about their community’s future. As states navigate the COVID-19 recovery process, elected leaders must work to ensure greater equity and resilience in communities. EPU’s UNUM Fellows program provides support to help leaders move toward a more equitable future.
Through the UNUM Fellows program, EPU will support state legislators with tools to effectively advance equity in their communities through sustainable change and collaboration. Through the program UNUM Fellows will receive informational learning, coaching, trainings, technical assistance, public opinion research, customized data analysis, and more.
Fellows will have the opportunity to:
- Embark on a period of research and analysis to develop their understanding of an issue that specifically addresses racial and/or economic disparities, preparing them to move forward within their legislative body.
- Convene with the 2021 UNUM Fellows class to share lessons learned, participate in transformative knowledge-building, and increase engagement. (The bulk of the fellowship will take place in a virtual setting.)
- Build skills for applying an equity lens to their work
- Use data and research to affect change
- Examine national best practice models
- Engage with thought leaders and experienced equity practitioners
- Talk about race in a way that moves people forward
- Elected state legislator with experience collaborating to build common understanding and solve issues
- Be in their current term of office through the end of 2022
- Possess a strong commitment to learning about and advancing racial and economic equity in their communities
- Currently hold elected office in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia or West Virginia.
Become an UNUM Fellow. Accelerate change within your community.